Faster Diagnosis Pathways
A new development for 2022/23 is the launch of the new Faster Diagnosis Framework (FDF) by NHS England and NHS Improvement. This new framework sets out the national approach to faster diagnosis of cancer which will bring together the separate objectives relating to Rapid Diagnostic Centres (RDCs) and the Faster Diagnosis Standard Best Practice Timed Pathways (BPTPs).
The Faster Diagnostic Framework will now be the overall term used to describe:
- The development of non-specific symptom pathways (NSS)
- Improvements to existing pathways in line with the faster diagnostic principles and best practice pathways.
The Faster Diagnostic Framework is intended to support the patients experience by accelerating the diagnostic process even if they do not have a cancer in the end by:
- Providing an earlier and faster diagnosis
- Improving patient experience by ensuring a smooth supported diagnostic process that begins in the community and ends with a clear outcome.
- Aligning with Community Diagnostic Centre’s (CDC) and other investments this year and future years to gain efficient and effective diagnostic pathways.
Hear one gentleman’s experience of a non-specific pathway referral by watching the film below.