Integrated Care System
NCA combines the experience of clinicians, the input of patients and the organisational vision of NHS staff.
Cancer Alliances are non-statutory groups that exist to:
- Support the delivery of the cancer transformation agenda laid out in in the NHS Long Term Plan (2019) within the North East and North Cumbria Integrated Care System (ICS)
How we fit in the system
The Northern Cancer Alliance covers the North East and North Cumbria. This makes us co-terminous with the North East and North Cumbria ICS and the Northern England Specialised Commissioning hub of NHS England.
NCA feed into the local governance arrangements of the North East and North Cumbria ICS and is the delivery arm of the ICS cancer transformation workstream.
North East and North Cumbria Integrated Care System
Integrated care systems (ICSs) bring together providers and commissioners of NHS services across a geographical area with local authorities and other local partners to plan health and care services to meet the needs of their local population. It’s a way of working that will bring partners together to improve the health of local communities and reduce the health inequalities that exist across the region.
The North East and North Cumbria ICS is the largest in the country. It is led by the NHS Integrated Care Board (ICB), a statutory organisation with responsibility for NHS budgets, functions and performance and an Integrated Care Partnership (ICP). The ICB over the responsibilities currently held by the eight clinical commissioning groups in our region. Over time it will also take over some of the of the functions currently held by NHS England for the commissioning of primary care and acute services.
NCA engage and work with a wide range of organisations and groups.
The list below is not exhaustive but gives a selection of the organisations we work with:
- NHS England and NHS Improvement
- NHS Provider trusts
- The Third & Voluntary Sector and the Independent Sector
- NHS Clinical Commissioning Groups
- Local authorities
- Academic Health Science Network
- Public Health England
- Health Education England
- National improvement programmes such as RightCare and Get It Right First Time
- FRESH (smoking cessation) and Balance (alcohol awareness)
- Research Networks
- Education Providers